Twitter Inc. announced today on the Twitter Blog the launch of version 1.0.5 of its official application for the Android mobile platform. The update brings the Twitter client for Android up to par with its iPhone/iPod Touch counterpart in every sense possible.
The new version 1.0.5 of the Twitter application for Android includes various performance and UI changes that make it completely similar to the iPhone version, including the Pull-to-Refresh and Swipe-to-Reveal — which were part of the Twitter client for iPhone even before the company acquired it earlier this year.
Anyway, make your way past the break to see the complete changelog.
- Tweet details page. We changed the layout of the timeline and introduced a Tweet details page, which you can access by simply clicking on a Tweet. This feature – which is already available in Twitter for iPhone, Twitter for iPad and Twitter for Windows Phone – makes it easier to click on links and reply to, retweet, or favorite a Tweet.
- Speed. The app is now even faster. In this version, we’ve tried a new way of drawing a timeline of Tweets that optimizes for scrolling speed. Try it out, and you’ll see how much faster and smoother the timeline loads and scrolls.
- Polish. We added some more nice touches to the application as well:
- Pull to Refresh: This popular feature, which was first available through our iPhone app, functions just as it sounds – when you’re at the top of your timeline, simply pull down to load new Tweets.
- Swipe to Reveal: Swipe across a Tweet to get quick access to several options, such as viewing a user’s profile, sharing a tweet, or replying.
- Quote a Tweet: Clicking the retweet icon now gives you the option to quote a Tweet. Of course, you can still retweet as you normally would.
- Hi-res avatar photos
Version 1.0.5 of Twitter for Android is now available in the Android Market for devices running Android 2.1 [Eclair] or higher.