In order to do either we need website visitors. And not all website visitors are equal. It’s best if a high percentage of your website visitors are people interested in the subject of your site, not people who wind up there by accident.
And, it’s better still if your traffic is free…if it comes as a result of places like;
1) Yahoo Answers.
3) Yahoo Groups
7) Site maps
8) E-Book Giveaway
9) Website Design
10) Submit To Directories
11) Tell a Friend
12) Search Engine Optimization
14) Social bookmarking sites
15) Article Promotion
16) Site Explorer
19) Newsletter Box
20) Pay per Click search engines
21) Get Links from Relevant Websites
22) Increase the Size of Your Site
22) Send out Press Releases
23) Advertise On Online classified Ad Sites
24) Use Firefox Plug-in
25) Add a Forum to Your Site
27) Optimize Your Blog for The Search Engines
28) Comment on Other Peoples Blogs
29) MySpace News
31) Banner Exchanges
32) Traffic Exchanges
33) Pop Unders
34) Technorati and ping it when your blog content changes
35) Use a ping service like pingomatic to ping RSS aggregators
36) Submit your blog to all of the RSS directories
37) Link to other blogs in your posts
38) Use Stumbleupon to stumble your posts.
39) Ask your readers to submit your posts to social bookmarking sites (Digg, Reddit, etc.)
40) Start a group blog.
41) Join SpicyPage and promote your blog
42) Join a webring.
43) Sign up for BlogWoods and promote your blog
44) Exchange Ads (not blogroll links) with complementary blogs.
45) Trade blog roll links with related blogs.
46) Use Twitter
47) Publish videos on YouTube
48) Search for Wikis related to your.
49) Join Hub pages and post links to your blog from articles you write.
51) Create a MySpace Page. Put your blog on it, and get some friends.
52) Tell people you will link back to them if they review your blog
53) Most brands are not well established online, you review related content and it will rank well.
54) Review relevant products on Amazon.com.
55) Create product lists on Amazon.com
56) Review related sites on Alexa
57) Review products and services on shopping search engines.
58) Swap some links.
59) Try to get links from within the content of relevant content pages.
60) Sell items on eBay.
61) Target niche social news sites like DZone, Sphinn or Hugg
62) Whenever you send an email to someone, always add your website url as a signature.
63) Do email signature swaps
64) Tag blog posts at social bookmarking sites
65) Add photos to your blog with appropriate keywords – Google Images generates traffic too.
66) Tag blog photos at Flicker
67) Make a custom 404-error page for your website. You can provide a link back to your main website or even try to monetize it by offering a related affiliate program within your niche.
68) Outsource grunt work.
69) After someone orders from you offer a one-time offer that compliments your product.
70) Participate in Blog Carnivals
71) create a network of blogs in different niches, and then link them together
72) Give away stock images with a wee watermark of your URL
73) Find and discuss memes
74) Create a Yahoo Group in the niche your site sits.
75) Bookmark your site on Del.icio.us and if you’re really keen, add a Del.icio.us button to your homepage.
76) Place a free ad for your company on Gumtree.
77) Syndicate your site’s content by using an RSS feeds.
78) Submit your RSS feeds to aggregator sites.
79) Don’t worry about PageRank – worrying about PageRank is as effective as trying to solve an algebra equation by chewing bubblegum.*
80) Get a custom t-shirt made with your website URL on it, and wear it often.
81) Get a custom t-shirt made with your website URL on it, and wear it often.
82) Send out a newsletter!
83) Giving away an eBook is an excellent way to generate word-of-mouth about your site.
84) Ask bloggers and other Web site owners to review your site and/or products.
85) Add a “Tell a Friend” function to your site, so people can easily recommend you to their mates.
86) Share your banners on banner exchange sites.
87) Create a “lense” for your site on Squidoo
88) Do you have really hot content on your site that geeks would love? If so Slashdot will bring you a mass of traffic.
89) upload a favicon.gif file so that your users have a nice icon when they bookmark your site.
90) Set up a feed on MyYahoo.com so your site gets regularly spidered by the Yahoo search
91) Use Ping-0-matic to ping blog directories. Do this every time you publish.
92) Print your blog URL on your business cards, brochures and flyers.
93) Use Trackback links when you quote or refer to other blog posts.
94) Increase the list you ping
95) Use Facebook
96) Social Networking
98) Email Marketing
99) RSS Feeds
100) Get outside links to internal pages
101) Use free hosting and build sites and link them back to your main site.